Thomasville was home to Dr. Robert Bruce who became famous for treating Typhoid fever. Returning home after a storm, the creek he needed to cross overflowed covering the bridge (the creek goes through MacIntyre Park). Misjudging the water’s depth, he was swept overboard. His horse returned home but Dr. Bruce unfortunately drowned. The branch has been called “Bruce’s Creek” ever since. Dr. Robert Bruce’s son, Dr. W. W. Bruce built this home in 1885 and it was later inherited by his daughter, Helen Bruce, and is now the Bruce-Driver House.