In December 1864, Confederate authorities, fearing a raid on Andersonville by Sherman’s marching army, chose Thomasville as a safe temporary prison camp. Five thousand prisoners were brought and held here. Covering an area of only seven acres, the camp was defined by a ditch eight feet wide and twelve feet deep. Several hundred prisoners died of smallpox, typhoid fever, and diarrhea. They were buried at First Methodist Church, although they were later reinterred at the Andersonville National Cemetery. Some sick prisoners were cared for at the Methodist Church and at the Fletcher Institute. Local citizens helped the sick and provided prisoners with food. Once the Federal army had taken Savannah, the Thomasville prison camp was closed, and the prisoners were sent back to Andersonville, arriving on December 24, 1864. Visit the site to view what remains of the border ditch and read the historical markers that tell the full story of the camp.