A showpiece of Thomasville’s Grand Hotel Era once occupied this spot. Known as the Mitchell House, the hotel and grounds extended from Jackson Street to Jefferson Street and catered to the elite of society with lavish parties and dances. It provided luxury lodging during the late 1800s for wealthy northern visitors, including the Vanderbilt and Goodrich families. The hotel even boasted two entrances, so that polite ladies didn’t have to upset themselves by walking past the saloon to enter. Later, the bottom floor was home to Neel’s Department store in the mid 1900’s, and was home to the first Rose Show in 1922. Today, the Mitchell House Hotel has been restored into upscale condominiums and lofts. Much of the original hotel remains, including the interior brick walls, staircases and hardwood floors.