The Thomasville Municipal Building opened May 5, 1940. A project of the Works Progress Administration (WPA), which provided jobs and income to the unemployed during the Great Depression in the United States, the two-story brick Greek Revival building was designed by Georgia architect Eliot Dunwoody. Built for $200,000, the building includes the Municipal Auditorium, Council Chambers, Thomasville Fire Rescue, Main Street, and the Thomasville Visitors Center, which was originally designed as a library. Today, the Municipal Auditorium seats 1,171 and has hosted a variety of entertainment performances by the local community and world renown professional artists. The Auditorium is a rentable venue available for a variety of uses.