Known as the Neel House, Elijah Leon Neel built this house in the Neoclassical style as his family home in 1907. As young teens, Elijah and his brother John joined the Confederates to fight for “the Cause.” Paroled by Union forces at the war’s end, the boys were stripped of their weapons, food, horses and manservant. Both young men walked all the way home from North Carolina. In later years, Elijah would gather all the family men on the front porch to rock and talk interminably. Women were not allowed, so they usually amused themselves in the park across the street.