The original Thomas County Courthouse was built in 1827 of rough logs. After time, this was replaced with a brick structure, which was badly damaged by a storm. The current courthouse was constructed in 1858 and remodeled in 1888. The architecture is Neoclassical in style, with scored stucco and curved, arched window hoods, huge cornices, capitals on pilasters with fanlight and gable decorations adorning the exterior. One monument of interest located on the courthouse square is the Confederate Monument, erected in 1879. Also located on the lawn of the Courthouse is the beautiful T.C. Mitchell Fountain which was originally on the grounds of the Mitchell House Hotel. One local tradition associated with this fountain is that every political candidate elected to office receives a congratulatory “dunk” in this historic fountain. A full restoration of the courthouse was completed in 2013.